Thursday, March 8, 2007
Humor in Kinky
I know there are a lot of deep messages in this book and I have put thought into them, but I am choosing to post on the poem I found the funniest, which is "Codependent Relationship". Almost all the poems have some humor in them, but this one made me laugh out loud. I think it was a breath of fresh air after some of the more serious poems. I like how it shows the conceitedness of the barbie character when it says "you know what chlorine does to my hair." What I found funniest was how she asks Ken to take off her head. Can't you just picture Barbie saying that? I guess my question would be: is there supposed to be a deeper message to this poem or is it supposed to just be funny?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This collection of writings, Kinky, exists for pleasure. This book allows any one to pick it up and find humor and meaning while reading it. To break down a particular poem and say that it should not be humorous would be absurd. These poems are open for interpretation. If the reader does not get anything out of the poem then it would be poor work. These poems, and all poems, are meant to invoke emotion. If after reading through a poem, one had no reaction at all, no thought, and no laughter, then we might have reason to be concerned! However, the very fact that this collection generally provokes a humorous reaction shows that the author would like Barbie to be taken lightly and be laughed at. While there are deeper meanings to some of these poems, it is obvious that those meanings are not pressured or forced through by the author. The author’s desire in these works was to allow free thought and laughter!
Post a Comment