Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Meaning through contrast
As I was reading, I marked a passage on p. 123, in which Steffie asks, "Is this a mild winter or harsh winter?" Denise replies, "Compared to what?" This highlights how we, and DeLillo, create meaning by comparing experiences or events to things we view as the norm. I believe this connects with what Professor Zimmerman was commenting on in relation to how disasters can be mediated and scripted. When reporters use cliches and use overly emotional images/tales of patriotism, etc., they set the standard for what is viewed as the norm, and in turn, set a benchmark for comparison. Steffie and Denise are a minute example of how people cannot have knowledge about a given event or occurrence without something to compare it to. On a larger spectrum, DeLillo does this with the sections of White Noise--first episodes, then the airborne toxic event, and back to episodes again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment