Wednesday, January 31, 2007
A "scripted" interpretation of White Noise?
White Noise has convinced me that that media has shaped parts of my life or at least altered my perception of daily events. In fact, it has been so convincing that I start to question if my interpretation of this book is really my own or if some outside source has shaped my view, an effect not dissimilar to that of media in our lives. If this is the case, then what is this foreign influence? As far as I am concerned, it starts with the discussion questions that were provided before we had even read a page of the book. Those questions provided the structure that was absent without a plot and my concentration, my annotation was centered on these questions as I read. Furthermore, some of the blame (or perhaps credit) lies with Delillo as the main themes of the book were ceaselessly being shoved in my face. While I realize that Delillo probably intended his themes to stand out in such an obvious manner, I am still not convinced that it is necessary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment