Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Suicide in the Future?
After today's lecture about Hitler and how he had control over other's death as well as his own, I can't help but wonder if Jack will mimic Hitler's actions. I highly doubt Jack will begin to kill others, but I cannot cancel out the possibility that Jack might commit suicide. Because he is so consumed with the uncertainty of death it seems natural that he would be drawn to the possibility of having some control over his death. Since receiving the gun from Vernon, he possesses an instrument that could ultimately be used in ending his life. Furthermore, why else would DeLillo include a scene where Jack gets a gun?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
While I understand your thought process I find it unlikely that Jack will commit suicide. Jack has consistently shown his Hitler studies as an outlet for his fear of death. The strange fear that both Jack and Bab hold, that is fear of death, progressively strengthens until we cannot foreshadow anything but suicide. I think that while Jack and Bab have this fear, they are both strong enough and resourceful enough to find alternatives. Jack’s outlet will remain his Hitler studies, while Bab’s outlet will remain their youngest son. While I think the gun has been introduced for a key reason, I do not think that it will lead to a suicide. I think that it will however, have a role in nullifying Jacks fear of death. Something will happen, he will have to use it, and he will then understand- death.
I have not read any further then you though, so I promise I have not revealed any part of the book!
I instantly thought that Jack would commit suicide when Vernon handed him the gun. This is because the scene made me think of Hitler's suicide. Professor made it clear in lecture that part of the reason Jack is so comforted by Hitler is because Hitler was able to control his own death and the deaths of millions of other people. I believe Jack will be comforted by the option of suicide and use the gun to end his life when he so chooses, just like Hitler. If DeLillo did not want us to make a connection between Hitler's suicide and Jack's eventual suicide, why would he have mentioned (twice!) that the gun is German made?
Post a Comment