Thursday, February 15, 2007

After lecture on Wednesday, I too began thinking about one of the last lines "Forgive me, I thought you were mine". I agreed with other comments that Mama felt like she had no control over her life because Jessie did all the work around the house, but I also feel Mama says this because she realizes that even though she lived with Jessie, she did not share intimate secrets with her. When Mama says "I thought you were mine" she realizes that all this time she thought she knew her own daughter, but realizes she never shared the same intimacy with Jessie as Jessie and her father did. Mama seens to resent that, because Jessie's father did not communicate with Mama. I don't think Mama is necessarily jealous of Jessie, but almost wishes that they had had more private talks then just the one they shared the night of her death.

No comments: