Wednesday, February 7, 2007
Scripts and Stability
When I read the passage with the nuns, I was struck by their committment to a particular life script. The nun Jack talks to makes an understandable point--in order for non-belief to be feasible, "there must always be believers" (319). I think this is commenting on the security and stability scripts give to society. It's about contrasting beliefs, actions, etc. with something else to make them understandable. Once we get to the supermarket scene at the end, it is evident that scripts are important for society. When the supermarket is rearranged, people become confused and upset--their current script is jumbled around. "There is a sense of wandering now, an aimless and haunted mood, sweet tempered people taken to the edge" (326). This is similar to Jack's confusion when he learns that the nun did not really believe--he was thrown completely for a loop when he realized that the nun was following a script to provide stability for society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment