Thursday, February 8, 2007

"Talk Is Radio"

On page 264 with Babette's and Jack's conversation about talking, Babette says "talk is radio". This stood out in my mind as an import quote from this section. I'm not totally sure about the sign
ficance of this statement, but I felt it meant something like this: with radio if you're feeling in the mood you listen to it--to the music, the news, the opinions--but if the radio is on and you really care about what's playing, you can just block it out, ignore it, disregard its exixtence. The sam could be said for talk, we listen to people when we feel like it, but zone out or ignore the speaker if we get bored. Talk is for entertainment, to pass the time, an amusing distraction. Again, I'm not sure about this hypothesis, so please respond with any agreements or disagreements.

No comments: