Thursday, February 15, 2007
Mama's different approach
Throughout the majority of the play, Jessie never wavers from her desire or intent to take her life. Mama makes many attempts in several different ways to try to change her mind or at least delay her daughter's death. One attempt that seemed to hit home more than the others was when Mama asked, "I guess you think they'll all have to talk about you now! I guess you think this will really confuse them... They're going to be ashamed of you. Yes. Ashamed!." (78-79). Jessie actually responds to this in anger or at least frustration which is the only time that I can recall that type of response. This approach by Mama stood out to me because it appeared she had finally found a way to break Jessie's resolve and I initially thought that she could use it stop Jessie. However, Jessie's emotional response returned Mama into the doting mother that she had been for most of the play and left me wondering what if Mama had attempted to push Jessie in an attempt to rattle her and disrupt her ideal death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment