Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"Forgive me, I thought you were mine"

On first reading I was confused by the line, "Forgive me, I thought you were mine." I couldn't understand why the mother would be apologizing for her daughter's suicide, something she had nothing to do with. But after lecture and further contemplation I began to understand the line. In my opinion this line allows the reader to further understand the mother. To me, the mother also felt like she had no control in life. Jessie did everything around the house, for example, the groceries, laundry, and her nails. Furthermore, I also think that she felt like her relationship with her husband was one out of her control. Her husband held the upper hand in situations. But despite the total lack of control the one thing she could control was Jessie. In my mind Jessie was the only thing that she had authority over. She took care of Jessie when she experienced seizures, she had control over Jessie's life. When she says this line, she realizes that Jessie is no longer in her control and maybe for the first time she realizes how she used Jessie for a sense of control. The mother is apologizing to Jessie for controlling her.

No comments: